Friday, January 21, 2011

What He Said

Matt Smith said the most lovely thing about the Doctor, and I wish I could find where he said it so I could properly cite it, but he said


He is an addict to the zest of the mad universe.


I think that that is so true. I LOVE that statement. I use it now on my Deviant Art account as my signature on all my comments. The Doctor is an addict. He's addicted to travelling throughout the universe, he is addicted to human beings and Earth, and most importantly; he's addicted to adventure. As Matt Smith so lovingly put it


He's a thrill-seeker.


The Doctor has lost everything, and continues to lose people all the time. He is struggling to sane in this crazy universe, but what helps is that the universe needs him. It desperately needs him.


Sometimes the Doctor will bend the rules. He once told Donna Noble that

The Doctor: Some things are fixed, some things are in a flux. Pompeii is fixed.
Donna Noble: How do you know which is which?
The Doctor:
That's how I see the universe. Every waking second, I can see: what is, what was, what could be, what must not. That's the burden of a Time Lord, Donna. And I'm the only one left.

-Fires of Pompeii 

But later, when the Doctor is reaching the end of his life (or of his life as the 10th Doctor), he goes back on that.

Yes, because there are laws. There are laws of time. Once upon a time there were people in charge of those laws but they died. They all died. Do you know who that leaves? Me! It's taken me all these years to realize that the laws of time are mine and they will obey me!
-The Waters of Mars

But the Doctor realizes that he has gone too far after this amazing scene

Adelaide: You saved us?
The Doctor: Just think, though. Your daughter and your daughter's daughter, you can see them again. Family reunion.
Adelaide: [Shakes her head "no"] But I'm supposed to be dead.
The Doctor: Not anymore.
Adelaide: But... Susie... my granddaughter... wasn't she supposed to become... we'll never exist now.
The Doctor: Nah, Captain Adelaide can inspire her face-to-face. Different details, but the story's the same.
Adelaide: You can't know that! And if my family changes... the whole of history could change! The future of the human race! No one should have that much power!
The Doctor: Tough.
Adelaide: [Backs away from the Doctor, unsure of what is going on] You should have left us there.
The Doctor: Adelaide, I've done this sort of thing before. In small ways, saved some little people. But never someone as important as you. Ooh, I'm good!
The Doctor: Little people? What, like Mia and Yuri? Who decides they're so unimportant? You?
The Doctor: For a long time now, I thought I was just a survivor, but I'm not. I'm the winner. That's who I am. A Time Lord victorious.
Adelaide: And there's no one to stop you?
The Doctor: No.
Adelaide: [Noticeably angry] This is wrong, Doctor! I don't care who you are! The Time Lord victorious is wrong!
The Doctor: That's for me to decide. Now, you'd better get home. Oh, it's all locked up. You've been away. Still, that's easy...
[uses the Sonic Screwdriver to unlock and open the door to Adelaide's house, then puts the Sonic Screwdriver away]
The Doctor: All yours.
Adelaide: Is there nothing you can't do?
The Doctor: Not anymore.
Adelaide: [Walks inside the house, takes out her gun, shuts the door, and

kills herself.....]

-The Waters of Mars

I was sad, really. Of course Adelaide was right, but for once the Doctor had regained confidence in himself as the only survivor of the great Time War. It was exciting to see him like that, but scary in a way too. He is able to play God, and it is best that he keeps himself humble. It was good for him to see that he didn't control everything. As genius as he may be, it's so good to know that he is on our side.

~~~

The Doctor: I'm going to stop you, Cobb. You need to know that.
General Cobb: I have an army, and the Breath of God on my side, Doctor. What do you have?
The Doctor: [points at his mind] This.
-The Doctor's Daughter

~~~

Thank you IMBd for the quotes.

Love Always,
Doctor Donna <3

No comments:

Post a Comment